Welcome to Ready Set Read!


Welcome to my website. Here I will review every and I mean every book I read. Mostly I read young adult literature but sometimes I do read other things. My goal is to help you find something to read. Also I hope that I will be able to help you avoid some very painful reading experiences. Usually I like the books I read. No, not because I love everything but because I research a book before I buy it. My research has bordered on obsession more than once. Oh well...there are worse obsessions, right? Right?!



Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gone by Michael Grant

Gone


Michael Grant


What happens when everyone above the age of fifteen years old just vanishes one day? Well you’re about to find out. In the small town of Perdido Beach, California suddenly all the adults disappears. Without warning the older teens and adults are all gone! A 14 year old Sam and his friends struggle to adjust to this new world and as if things aren’t complicated enough there is a large dome-like barrier surrounding the town. The barrier seems to be centered around the town’s nuclear power plant. The kids nickname the area the FAYZ, Fall Out Alley Youth Zone.
Still the strangest thing of all is that the animals are changing and so are the kids! Soon they find snakes can fly and coyotes can talk. Some of the kids are developing strange powers! The bullies are getting worse and worse by the minute; the kids from Coates Academy from up the hill come into town and take over. The bullies have taken over town, fights are breaking out, fear is spreading, food supplies are running low and the scariest thing of all, Sam’s birthday is coming up. Will he disappear on his fifteenth birthday too, just like everyone else?

I loved this book. It’s probably the best book I have ever read! Filled with action, suspense, heart pounding terror and a surprise around each corner it’s nearly impossible to put down. You could clearly see the whole story playing out in front of you. Michael Grant created a whole new world that was as real as our own. By the end of the book I felt like I had been there alongside Sam, Astrid and all the others, instead of simply reading about it. I especially loved the differences between Sam and the bad guy, Caine. Both boys have many similarities yet they are as different as night and day.

I found a lot of the book was about “what if”, what if this happened what the consequences would be. Every move the kids made had a consequence some good and some bad but mostly bad. Like when Caine comes into town and tries to take over, instead of stepping up, Sam just lets it happen.
It’s going to be a six book series, the sequel, Hunger comes out next summer. I can’t wait to read it! Before I forget Gone is a long book but don’t let that stop you from reading it. It’s done before you know it
. Here's the link to the book trailer.

No comments: