The Luxe
Anna Godbersen

Manhattan, New York 1899. Elisabeth and Diana Holland are daughters of one the oldest families in New York. They’re members of an exclusive club, Manhattans high society. Elisabeth is the “It Girl” of her time which is everything her younger sister Diana despises. Diana is the very definition of the word free-spirit and has no interest in leading the same life as her mother and sister. When they’re family is threatened with bankruptcy because of the debt their father left behind after his death. Elisabeth is horrified and accepts Henry Schoonmaker’s proposal. In an attempt to salvage the Holland family fortune. One thing she was not expecting was her best friend, Penelope Hayes. Penelope is bold, daring and determined to become the new “It Girl” and Henry's wife. No matter what the cost.
Ever read a book you just can’t put down? Well I have. It’s called the Luxe by Anna Godbersen. It’s an easy and fun read. It captivates you from the very first page and it just got better. Although it was a little predictable at times I still enjoyed it. The characters seemed real and likeable. Especially the young girls were convincing. They have good qualities and flaws just like anyone else.
Let’s face it we all know an Elisabeth. You know who I’m talking about, that girl that everyone loves and seems too perfect. What I liked about her character was that it showed the cracks in the perfect façade. Throughout the book you see that vulnerable and human side to the characters. This is something I just loved about the book! I actually know the real live Diana, except the girl I am talking about doesn’t have dark hair. She has curly blonde hair with blue eyes that dance with excitement and even if she is younger, you can clearly see all the things that make Diana, well Diana. This both terrifies and thrills me. I can't help but to imagine all the wonderful and terrible things that she will experience.

Manhattan, New York 1899. Elisabeth and Diana Holland are daughters of one the oldest families in New York. They’re members of an exclusive club, Manhattans high society. Elisabeth is the “It Girl” of her time which is everything her younger sister Diana despises. Diana is the very definition of the word free-spirit and has no interest in leading the same life as her mother and sister. When they’re family is threatened with bankruptcy because of the debt their father left behind after his death. Elisabeth is horrified and accepts Henry Schoonmaker’s proposal. In an attempt to salvage the Holland family fortune. One thing she was not expecting was her best friend, Penelope Hayes. Penelope is bold, daring and determined to become the new “It Girl” and Henry's wife. No matter what the cost.
Ever read a book you just can’t put down? Well I have. It’s called the Luxe by Anna Godbersen. It’s an easy and fun read. It captivates you from the very first page and it just got better. Although it was a little predictable at times I still enjoyed it. The characters seemed real and likeable. Especially the young girls were convincing. They have good qualities and flaws just like anyone else.
Let’s face it we all know an Elisabeth. You know who I’m talking about, that girl that everyone loves and seems too perfect. What I liked about her character was that it showed the cracks in the perfect façade. Throughout the book you see that vulnerable and human side to the characters. This is something I just loved about the book! I actually know the real live Diana, except the girl I am talking about doesn’t have dark hair. She has curly blonde hair with blue eyes that dance with excitement and even if she is younger, you can clearly see all the things that make Diana, well Diana. This both terrifies and thrills me. I can't help but to imagine all the wonderful and terrible things that she will experience.
So basically the whole point of my rambling is this, my favourite part about the whole book was the characters. They were real, you loved them and you hated them. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an interesting yet light reading. I just snapped through those pages; don’t let the length discourage you from reading it. Believe me, it’s worth it and I can’t wait to read the sequel, Rumours. Hopefully I will be able to find it in english...

No comments:
Post a Comment